PHOENIX — Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne ripped Democratic legislators Monday because they mistook funding designated to fight drug cartels as money meant to prevent illegal immigration.
Horne blamed politicking for the funds being caught. He said that the $1.2 million in funding was cut because Democratic lawmakers opposed them and their votes were needed to pass Medicare.
“It would have taken 30 seconds to ask the question, ‘What is this money used for,'” Horne said. “Instead, the just saw it, the reacted to it and demanded that it be taken out of the budget and the other people had to comply because they needed their votes for Medicare.”
In a press release, Horne said the funding cut is a big blow to his office.
“This $1.2 million a year is used to dismantle drug cartels,” he said. “This has been among my highest priorities since I took office and we have successfully dismantled a number of drug cartels that were importing drugs into this country.”
According to a release, Gov. Jan Brewer and other Republicans supported the funds.
Horne is pushing for an emergency session to reinstate the funding. It would require two-thirds of the vote to pass.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food