PHOENIX — Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne ripped Democratic legislators Monday because they mistook funding designated to fight drug cartels as money meant to prevent illegal immigration.
Horne blamed politicking for the funds being caught. He said that the $1.2 million in funding was cut because Democratic lawmakers opposed them and their votes were needed to pass Medicare.
“It would have taken 30 seconds to ask the question, ‘What is this money used for,'” Horne said. “Instead, the just saw it, the reacted to it and demanded that it be taken out of the budget and the other people had to comply because they needed their votes for Medicare.”
In a press release, Horne said the funding cut is a big blow to his office.
“This $1.2 million a year is used to dismantle drug cartels,” he said. “This has been among my highest priorities since I took office and we have successfully dismantled a number of drug cartels that were importing drugs into this country.”
According to a release, Gov. Jan Brewer and other Republicans supported the funds.
Horne is pushing for an emergency session to reinstate the funding. It would require two-thirds of the vote to pass.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments