PHOENIX — Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne ripped Democratic legislators Monday because they mistook funding designated to fight drug cartels as money meant to prevent illegal immigration.
Horne blamed politicking for the funds being caught. He said that the $1.2 million in funding was cut because Democratic lawmakers opposed them and their votes were needed to pass Medicare.
“It would have taken 30 seconds to ask the question, ‘What is this money used for,'” Horne said. “Instead, the just saw it, the reacted to it and demanded that it be taken out of the budget and the other people had to comply because they needed their votes for Medicare.”
In a press release, Horne said the funding cut is a big blow to his office.
“This $1.2 million a year is used to dismantle drug cartels,” he said. “This has been among my highest priorities since I took office and we have successfully dismantled a number of drug cartels that were importing drugs into this country.”
According to a release, Gov. Jan Brewer and other Republicans supported the funds.
Horne is pushing for an emergency session to reinstate the funding. It would require two-thirds of the vote to pass.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns