PHOENIX — Smoke alarms and quick thinking saved two families from burning to death in their Ahwatukee neighborhood homes early Monday.
Firefighters said the blaze happened around 3 a.m., near Warner Road and Interstate 10. Five people escaped one house and a young couple with a baby also escaped injury when the fire spread to their home next door.
No one was injured.
The fire started in the home of five people, who woke up when the smoke alarms went off. The five adults got out of the house and pounded on their neighbors’ door until the sleeping couple responded.
Fire Capt. Tony Mure said the fire spread quickly but was limited to the two houses.