After an hourslong search, authorities have a suspect in custody for an attempted burglary of a home in Sun City Friday morning.
Authorities were called about 2 a.m. A homeowner near 111th and Peoria avenues told Maricopa County Sheriff’s deputies that he shot someone who had broken into his home. He described the suspect as a shirtless man who was wearing jeans and a blond wig.
After being shot, the suspect fled the home on foot.
“We were able to follow a blood trail that took detectives out in to a big brush field around the area and then it eventually led us over to the Sun City Country Club,” MCSO spokesman Chris Hegstrom said.
The suspect was shot in the hand and was grazed on the neck. He was arrested about 10 a.m. after being found on the golf course.
The homeowner has not been identified, but Hegstrom said he is an MCSO posse member.
“Most everybody in this area, we all have our guns,” said Walter Ready, who lives near the home where the shooting occurred.
Ready said the houses in the neighborhood are spread apart, each home sitting on an acre of land. “Maybe that’s one reason they chose out here,” he said of the suspect.
The suspect has not been identified. Hegstrom said the suspect was armed when he entered the house but was unarmed when he was arrested.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer contributed to this report.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon