After an hourslong search, authorities have a suspect in custody for an attempted burglary of a home in Sun City Friday morning.
Authorities were called about 2 a.m. A homeowner near 111th and Peoria avenues told Maricopa County Sheriff’s deputies that he shot someone who had broken into his home. He described the suspect as a shirtless man who was wearing jeans and a blond wig.
After being shot, the suspect fled the home on foot.
“We were able to follow a blood trail that took detectives out in to a big brush field around the area and then it eventually led us over to the Sun City Country Club,” MCSO spokesman Chris Hegstrom said.
The suspect was shot in the hand and was grazed on the neck. He was arrested about 10 a.m. after being found on the golf course.
The homeowner has not been identified, but Hegstrom said he is an MCSO posse member.
“Most everybody in this area, we all have our guns,” said Walter Ready, who lives near the home where the shooting occurred.
Ready said the houses in the neighborhood are spread apart, each home sitting on an acre of land. “Maybe that’s one reason they chose out here,” he said of the suspect.
The suspect has not been identified. Hegstrom said the suspect was armed when he entered the house but was unarmed when he was arrested.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer contributed to this report.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes