PHOENIX — There was a big welcome on Thursday at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport.
Cheers erupted when members the Arizona National Guard’s 1/158th Infantry Battalion arrived home from Afghanistan.
A Phoenix firefighter and a Gilbert police officer were both part of the unit.
Dozens of firefighters were there to welcome their co-worker, Justin Dougherty, back home. Dougherty said the unit trained Afghan police.
“We all worked together, we fought hard together,” he said. “We lost some Afghans.”
Dougherty said when they happened he found out that “everybody cries just like we do.”
Justin’s mom, Kathy Williams, was fighting back tears after seeing her son.
“My son’s been gone for 266 days and he’s home today,” she said. She then choked up, breathed a sigh of relief, and was emotional as she said, “He’s home safe.”
Dougherty said he’s pretty proud to be part of the military.
“This is a volunteer service,” he said. “This is a volunteer military. That’s what makes the United States great. Just the fact that you have a bunch of people willing to raise their hand and put themselves in harm’s way is a testament to our society and our freewill spirit.”
Dougherty believes that his experience in Afghanistan will make him a better firefighter.
Gilbert police officer Andy Bates said that spending time in Afghanistan was tough.
“It was frustrating,” he said. “But we saw some success and I enjoyed my opportunity to serve.”
Bates said being a police officer was helpful in the mission to train Afghan police.
“Our mission in Afghanistan this time was to train the police there, to try and legitimize them and create stability in the region through training,” he said. “It was a good segue with what I do with the Gilbert Police Department. But I sure did miss the Gilbert Police Department. They’re a wonderful family.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.