PHOENIX — A group of dog owners want some changes at Phoenix city parks.
“Mitch” the dog loves to play with his owner. Mike Goers said his collie is “just a good ole mutt.”
“He’s a good frisbee dog,” Goers said. “He’s very obedient. He climbs trees in the park. He sits, stays, comes. He’s just a blast!”
They live in Paradise Valley. The nearest dog park is at Cave Creek and Grovers, seven miles away from their house. Instead, Goers and his dog take their frisbee and join other owners and their unleashed dogs at a nearby park.
But letting a dog go unleashed is against Arizona law, except in a fenced in dog park. Police moved in on Goers and other dog owners at his neighborhood park last month.
“A plain-clothed spotter came out, detained me, then radioed in squad cars from other locations to get other people in the park,” Goers said. “It was a planned event.”
Goers called the show of force excessive.
After paying a $100 fine, Goers started working to try and change things at parks. He created the Phoenix Puppy Power Facebook page, where he and his “friends” have been talking about setting up “off leash” hours at city parks.
The Phoenix Parks and Recreation Department said its hands are tied because of the Arizona state law.
Goers wonders if there’s a way around that.
“Cities do not comply with state statutes all of the time. States do not comply with federal statutes all of the time,” Goers said. “I’d like to find out if we can move forward, and, if possible, talk about this.”
That talking will happen Thursday. The Parks Department will hold two public meetings. The first is at 6:30 p.m., where the possibility of an unleashed dog run in Desert Horizon park will be discussed. Then, at 7:30 p.m., they’ll be talking about the possibility of the “off leash” hours at city parks.
Both of Thursday’s meetings are at the Paradise Valley Community Center at 17402 North 40th Street in Phoenix.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier