PHOENIX — A man opened fire at a construction site in Florence, Ariz., and investigators said it could have been a hate crime.
“Danny Davis went to this site because it was a site where minorities were working and because of his anger at those workers for having jobs that he felt American citizens should have,” said Tamra Ingersoll with the Pinal County Sheriff’s Office. “That could result in additional hate crime charges.”
The incident happened Monday at the Magma Ranch housing development. According to the PCSO, 53-year-old Danny Davis confronted workers and retreated to his truck. Davis allegedly retrieved a rifle and then shot at the workers. Davis then shot at a patrol car of a deputy who had responded to the 911 call.
Davis showed signs of alcohol impairment, according to the PCSO. Fortunately, no one was injured in the incident.
Sheriff Paul Babeu released the following statement:
Hate crimes notoriously go unreported for a variety of reasons including the fact victims may be fearful of reporting the crime to law enforcement. Danny Davis attempted to murder individuals because of their race. Thanks to the victims reporting the crime and the investigation completed by deputies, once convicted of these felony offenses, the judge will impose a harsher sentence due to the aggravating factor of this case being classified as a hate crime.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments