PHOENIX — A man opened fire at a construction site in Florence, Ariz., and investigators said it could have been a hate crime.
“Danny Davis went to this site because it was a site where minorities were working and because of his anger at those workers for having jobs that he felt American citizens should have,” said Tamra Ingersoll with the Pinal County Sheriff’s Office. “That could result in additional hate crime charges.”
The incident happened Monday at the Magma Ranch housing development. According to the PCSO, 53-year-old Danny Davis confronted workers and retreated to his truck. Davis allegedly retrieved a rifle and then shot at the workers. Davis then shot at a patrol car of a deputy who had responded to the 911 call.
Davis showed signs of alcohol impairment, according to the PCSO. Fortunately, no one was injured in the incident.
Sheriff Paul Babeu released the following statement:
Hate crimes notoriously go unreported for a variety of reasons including the fact victims may be fearful of reporting the crime to law enforcement. Danny Davis attempted to murder individuals because of their race. Thanks to the victims reporting the crime and the investigation completed by deputies, once convicted of these felony offenses, the judge will impose a harsher sentence due to the aggravating factor of this case being classified as a hate crime.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development