PHOENIX — A proposed rule by the Environmental Protection Agency for an Arizona power plant is a bad one, a coalition said.
The EPA is calling for new equipment at the Navajo Generating Station Power plant near Page, Ariz., that would limit emissions that may cause haze in the Grand Canyon.
Members of the Arizona Coalition for Water, Energy and Jobs said the equipment would cost over $1 billion and would raise electric and water rates.
Arizona House Speaker Andy Tobin wants the EPA to back off.
“I’m asking the President of the United States to help get the EPA off of Arizona’s back,” he said.
The coalition said more than 3,400 jobs are dependent on the plant and could be lost if the EPA ever decided to shut it down. Tobin said the EPA’s rule would hurt Arizona at a time when the state’s economy is recovering.
“When you start talking about that effort ending up on the back of Arizona taxpayers, we cannot afford this again,” he said.
Tobin directed more of his comments toward President Barack Obama.
“Mr. President, this one’s on you. We need your help. You know that this science does not match up. You know that we need to review this. Let’s find a better way.”
The coalition said there is no proof that emissions from the power plant are causing haze in the Grand Canyon. Members said it could be caused by vehicle emissions from Las Vegas and Los Angeles.
The coalition said that the EPA’s rule, if enacted, could cost Arizona $20 billion in lost economic activity over the next 30 years.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food