PHOENIX — Firefighting crews continued to battle a human-caused wildfire burning near Prescott on Thursday, which has burned between 6,400-7,500 acres, officials said.
The blaze is now ten percent contained. No structures have been damaged. Strong winds are expected in the area.
More than 600 personnel are working to get the fire under control. Nearly 500 homes, including those in the Granite Basin and Black Jack areas have been evacuated. The U.S. Forest Service has notified residents in the Williamson Valley area be ready to evacuate.
Officials will host a meeting Thursday at 6 p.m. at the Prescott High School auditorium to update the community.
The Doce Fire broke out Tuesday about eight miles northwest of Prescott, Ariz., the U.S. Forest Service said. Witnesses said the fire started near Iron Springs Road.
Officials said air tankers and helicopters were expected to help fight the blaze.
Investigators said the exact source f the fire is under investigation.
The Red Cross has established an evacuation center at Yavapai Community College that can accommodate about 330 people.
Multiple resources have responded, including air tankers, helicopters, Type 1 crews and Type 2 initial attack crews.
A second DC-10 was brought in from Colorado to aid in the fight.
KTAR’s Jim Cross contributed to this report.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns