PHOENIX — Firefighting crews continued to battle a human-caused wildfire burning near Prescott on Thursday, which has burned between 6,400-7,500 acres, officials said.
The blaze is now ten percent contained. No structures have been damaged. Strong winds are expected in the area.
More than 600 personnel are working to get the fire under control. Nearly 500 homes, including those in the Granite Basin and Black Jack areas have been evacuated. The U.S. Forest Service has notified residents in the Williamson Valley area be ready to evacuate.
Officials will host a meeting Thursday at 6 p.m. at the Prescott High School auditorium to update the community.
The Doce Fire broke out Tuesday about eight miles northwest of Prescott, Ariz., the U.S. Forest Service said. Witnesses said the fire started near Iron Springs Road.
Officials said air tankers and helicopters were expected to help fight the blaze.
Investigators said the exact source f the fire is under investigation.
The Red Cross has established an evacuation center at Yavapai Community College that can accommodate about 330 people.
Multiple resources have responded, including air tankers, helicopters, Type 1 crews and Type 2 initial attack crews.
A second DC-10 was brought in from Colorado to aid in the fight.
KTAR’s Jim Cross contributed to this report.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development