PHOENIX — Firefighting crews continued to battle a human-caused wildfire burning near Prescott on Thursday, which has burned between 6,400-7,500 acres, officials said.
The blaze is now ten percent contained. No structures have been damaged. Strong winds are expected in the area.
More than 600 personnel are working to get the fire under control. Nearly 500 homes, including those in the Granite Basin and Black Jack areas have been evacuated. The U.S. Forest Service has notified residents in the Williamson Valley area be ready to evacuate.
Officials will host a meeting Thursday at 6 p.m. at the Prescott High School auditorium to update the community.
The Doce Fire broke out Tuesday about eight miles northwest of Prescott, Ariz., the U.S. Forest Service said. Witnesses said the fire started near Iron Springs Road.
Officials said air tankers and helicopters were expected to help fight the blaze.
Investigators said the exact source f the fire is under investigation.
The Red Cross has established an evacuation center at Yavapai Community College that can accommodate about 330 people.
Multiple resources have responded, including air tankers, helicopters, Type 1 crews and Type 2 initial attack crews.
A second DC-10 was brought in from Colorado to aid in the fight.
KTAR’s Jim Cross contributed to this report.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick