PHOENIX — Arizona State University has kicked a fraternity off campus after several high-profile incidents.
Sigma Alpha Epsilon has been ousted after incidents that involved underage drinking of students. University administration told the fraternity that its conduct “conflicts with the fundamental values and ideals of both the fraternity and university.”
The incidents have brought negative attention to ASU. In December, fraternity brother Jack Culolioas, a 19-year-old freshman, died after last being seen during a night of drinking with frat brothers at a Tempe bar. He was missing for weeks before his body was found in Tempe Town Lake.
Most recently, an underage student was abandoned by friends at a hospital emergency room with a blood-alcohol content nearly six times the legal drunk limit. Although the mid-May drinking session was not fraternity-related, the student is a member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon.
The university has taken action before when fraternities have exhibited harmful, out-of-control behavior.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development