PHOENIX — Glendale City Councilman Gary Sherwood said he’s well aware that other cities are interested in the Phoenix Coyotes and he knows it’s coming down to the wire to keep the NHL team.
The Glendale City Council will discuss a complex deal that’s in the works with the team’s potential buyer Renaissance Sports and Entertainment Tuesday in a private session. No vote can be taken in the session.
“We certainly won’t cave in to a deal that doesn’t make sense but when you pencil out all the numbers it will be a large impact without the team here,” Sherwood said. “We need to take that into consideration.”
A Seattle TV station reported that leaders there have been in contact with NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman about the Coyotes possibly relocating to Seattle if a deal can’t be worked out in Glendale.
It’s a somewhat unique fraternity to have professional baseball, basketball, football and hockey all in the same location. There are 11 other American cities that field teams in all four pro sports.
Sports marketing expert Ray Artigue with the Artigue Agency said the Coyotes are an enormous economic engine in the West Valley.
“Those lost hockey nights at the arena would be difficult to replace. So the facility would just sit there. And you can’t put a price tag on the exposure the Coyotes’ televised games give to the Valley.”
And if the Valley lost the Coyotes, he believed it would be years if ever, before the NHL brings another franchise to the Valley.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier