PHOENIX — Glendale City Councilman Gary Sherwood said he’s well aware that other cities are interested in the Phoenix Coyotes and he knows it’s coming down to the wire to keep the NHL team.
The Glendale City Council will discuss a complex deal that’s in the works with the team’s potential buyer Renaissance Sports and Entertainment Tuesday in a private session. No vote can be taken in the session.
“We certainly won’t cave in to a deal that doesn’t make sense but when you pencil out all the numbers it will be a large impact without the team here,” Sherwood said. “We need to take that into consideration.”
A Seattle TV station reported that leaders there have been in contact with NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman about the Coyotes possibly relocating to Seattle if a deal can’t be worked out in Glendale.
It’s a somewhat unique fraternity to have professional baseball, basketball, football and hockey all in the same location. There are 11 other American cities that field teams in all four pro sports.
Sports marketing expert Ray Artigue with the Artigue Agency said the Coyotes are an enormous economic engine in the West Valley.
“Those lost hockey nights at the arena would be difficult to replace. So the facility would just sit there. And you can’t put a price tag on the exposure the Coyotes’ televised games give to the Valley.”
And if the Valley lost the Coyotes, he believed it would be years if ever, before the NHL brings another franchise to the Valley.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night