PHOENIX — Glendale City Councilman Gary Sherwood said he’s well aware that other cities are interested in the Phoenix Coyotes and he knows it’s coming down to the wire to keep the NHL team.
The Glendale City Council will discuss a complex deal that’s in the works with the team’s potential buyer Renaissance Sports and Entertainment Tuesday in a private session. No vote can be taken in the session.
“We certainly won’t cave in to a deal that doesn’t make sense but when you pencil out all the numbers it will be a large impact without the team here,” Sherwood said. “We need to take that into consideration.”
A Seattle TV station reported that leaders there have been in contact with NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman about the Coyotes possibly relocating to Seattle if a deal can’t be worked out in Glendale.
It’s a somewhat unique fraternity to have professional baseball, basketball, football and hockey all in the same location. There are 11 other American cities that field teams in all four pro sports.
Sports marketing expert Ray Artigue with the Artigue Agency said the Coyotes are an enormous economic engine in the West Valley.
“Those lost hockey nights at the arena would be difficult to replace. So the facility would just sit there. And you can’t put a price tag on the exposure the Coyotes’ televised games give to the Valley.”
And if the Valley lost the Coyotes, he believed it would be years if ever, before the NHL brings another franchise to the Valley.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them