Truck owners beware: it appears the number of tailgate thefts is on the rise.
“If I lived in Arizona or Texas, I would invest in an aftermarket lock,” said Frank Scafidi of the National Insurance Crime Bureau.
Texas policeman Eric J. Starnes told Dallas media that tailgates are easy to steal and sell on the black market.
According to a report released by the NICB earlier this year, Arizona ranks No. 3 on its list for tailgate thefts, behind Texas and California.
The statistics are compiled from insurance claims submitted from Jan. 1, 2006, through Sept. 30, 2012.
Texas topped the list as the loss state with the most tailgate theft claims — 451, or 34 percent of the total. California was No. 2 with 272 claims, followed by Arizona with 125. Florida was fourth with 86 thefts, and Nevada rounds out the top five with 36.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy