PHOENIX — For years, Van Buren Street in Phoenix featured a string of rent-by-the-hour motels, but now plans are underway to transform two former hotels into housing for the homeless.
“They will be studio apartments with a private bath and kitchen,” said Jauron Leefers, housing development specialist with the city of Phoenix.
Veterans will be given preference at the first project which will be on the site of the former Western Lodge hotel at 38th Street and Van Buren. The other project, dubbed the Travel Inn Apartments, will be at 36th Street and Van Buren.
Combined, they will feature more than 100 studio apartments. Private offices and a community center will provide residents with access to specialists who can help with job searches, substance abuse and mental health counseling.
“When people have stable housing it helps start to stabilize all the other things in their life,” Leefers said.
Deputy Housing Director Maria Bears said the Department of Housing and Urban Development has set a goal of ending homelessness among veterans by 2015.
“Is it a realistic goal? You know only time will tell, but the city of Phoenix is very committed to that goal,” she said.
Federal funding will cover the estimated $7 million price tag. Construction should start in the fall with the apartments opening next year.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon