PHOENIX — For years, Van Buren Street in Phoenix featured a string of rent-by-the-hour motels, but now plans are underway to transform two former hotels into housing for the homeless.
“They will be studio apartments with a private bath and kitchen,” said Jauron Leefers, housing development specialist with the city of Phoenix.
Veterans will be given preference at the first project which will be on the site of the former Western Lodge hotel at 38th Street and Van Buren. The other project, dubbed the Travel Inn Apartments, will be at 36th Street and Van Buren.
Combined, they will feature more than 100 studio apartments. Private offices and a community center will provide residents with access to specialists who can help with job searches, substance abuse and mental health counseling.
“When people have stable housing it helps start to stabilize all the other things in their life,” Leefers said.
Deputy Housing Director Maria Bears said the Department of Housing and Urban Development has set a goal of ending homelessness among veterans by 2015.
“Is it a realistic goal? You know only time will tell, but the city of Phoenix is very committed to that goal,” she said.
Federal funding will cover the estimated $7 million price tag. Construction should start in the fall with the apartments opening next year.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food