PHOENIX — The expansion of Medicaid is a financial shot in the arm to Arizona medical centers that were struggling to survive.
At Maricopa Medical Center in Phoenix, 25 percent of the patients in the emergency room had no insurance. Up to 50 percent of visitors to its 11 clinics were in the same situation. The medical center footed the bill.
“We’re talking about $120 million a year up,” said
Betsey Bayless, who heads up Maricopa Integrated Health Systems.
Bayless said providing Medicaid to an additional 300,000 Arizonans will hopefully push people back toward primary care doctors and clinics instead of using the emergency room. But that comes with a challenge.
“If you have that many more people covered by Medicaid we’re going to need the primary care providers, family medicine doctors, nurses, and so forth,” she said.
Bayless is a former Arizona Secretary of State and said Gov. Jan Brewer did the right thing by pushing for Medicaid expansion. “She carried the day.”
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy