TEMPE, Ariz. — Arizona is home to a thriving beer- making industry and winemaking is on the rise but now a Tempe company is trying to lead a bourbon boom in the state.
Arizona Distilling Company is pumping out Copper City Bourbon. What separates Copper City from the big bourbon makers? For starters, it is uniquely Arizona.
“Hands on, handcrafted, small batches. Artisan feel and definitely smoother,” said Matt Cummins, one of four partners in the venture. And while many people associate bourbon with Kentucky or Tennessee, bourbon plays a big part of the state’s Wild West history.
That’s why the label’s design has a decidedly Old West feel, said Jason Grossmiller, another of the partners.
“We thought about this long and hard. We want to be Arizona. We wanted that classic look,” Grossmiller said.
Rodney Hu, another partner said of bourbon’s history, “It was one of the only liquors on the shelves when you’re talking about the saloons. It would be beer and bourbon, not vodka or gin. We’ve been approached to take Copper City bourbon to other states but we want to make sure we can handle in-state first. The feedback we’re getting from customers and the bars has been really good.”
Arizona Distilling may be the first to produce bourbon in the Valley, it almost certainly won’t be the last: in-state liquor production is expected to grow quickly.
Jon Eagan with the distillery said it’s a natural progression.
“We saw that opportunity. The beer-making process is more labor intensive and the microbrew segment is about 10 percent of the overall market. Microdistilling is a very, very small segment of the market but it’s on a similar growth trajectory that microbrewing has experienced over the past two decades.”
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development