TEMPE, Ariz. — Arizona is home to a thriving beer- making industry and winemaking is on the rise but now a Tempe company is trying to lead a bourbon boom in the state.
Arizona Distilling Company is pumping out Copper City Bourbon. What separates Copper City from the big bourbon makers? For starters, it is uniquely Arizona.
“Hands on, handcrafted, small batches. Artisan feel and definitely smoother,” said Matt Cummins, one of four partners in the venture. And while many people associate bourbon with Kentucky or Tennessee, bourbon plays a big part of the state’s Wild West history.
That’s why the label’s design has a decidedly Old West feel, said Jason Grossmiller, another of the partners.
“We thought about this long and hard. We want to be Arizona. We wanted that classic look,” Grossmiller said.
Rodney Hu, another partner said of bourbon’s history, “It was one of the only liquors on the shelves when you’re talking about the saloons. It would be beer and bourbon, not vodka or gin. We’ve been approached to take Copper City bourbon to other states but we want to make sure we can handle in-state first. The feedback we’re getting from customers and the bars has been really good.”
Arizona Distilling may be the first to produce bourbon in the Valley, it almost certainly won’t be the last: in-state liquor production is expected to grow quickly.
Jon Eagan with the distillery said it’s a natural progression.
“We saw that opportunity. The beer-making process is more labor intensive and the microbrew segment is about 10 percent of the overall market. Microdistilling is a very, very small segment of the market but it’s on a similar growth trajectory that microbrewing has experienced over the past two decades.”
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them