PHOENIX — There’s a new way to find how Arizona cities are improving without breaking their budget.
It’s as close as your smartphone or computer.
“We have a website where residents and community members can go and look at community events, find out some of the innovative things that their cities are working on, and hear from their council members and city staff about the great things that their cities are doing for them, said Samantha Wolmer, a spokeswoman for the League of Arizona Cities and Towns.
The League’s Deputy Director, Tom Belshe, says many cities are trying to cut costs while still delivering innovative services. For example, Goodyear has gone green with one of its fire stations.
“They did innovative energy and lighting uses as well as heating and cooling operations,” said Belshe. “They took advantage of federal grants that are available for these types of things to make the city facilities more energy efficient.”
Belshe also likes what libraries in Tempe have done to compete with local bookstores.
“They added things like a small café, where people can go in and get coffee,” Belshe said. “They did that because one of the things that the private companies that sell books have done is create that atmosphere where you can kind of sit down, relax, have a cup of coffee, and read books.”
The league is also recognizing El Mirage for making things more efficient by consolidating its’ trash and recycle services.
You can check out the website at
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy