PHOENIX — There’s a new way to find how Arizona cities are improving without breaking their budget.
It’s as close as your smartphone or computer.
“We have a website where residents and community members can go and look at community events, find out some of the innovative things that their cities are working on, and hear from their council members and city staff about the great things that their cities are doing for them, said Samantha Wolmer, a spokeswoman for the League of Arizona Cities and Towns.
The League’s Deputy Director, Tom Belshe, says many cities are trying to cut costs while still delivering innovative services. For example, Goodyear has gone green with one of its fire stations.
“They did innovative energy and lighting uses as well as heating and cooling operations,” said Belshe. “They took advantage of federal grants that are available for these types of things to make the city facilities more energy efficient.”
Belshe also likes what libraries in Tempe have done to compete with local bookstores.
“They added things like a small café, where people can go in and get coffee,” Belshe said. “They did that because one of the things that the private companies that sell books have done is create that atmosphere where you can kind of sit down, relax, have a cup of coffee, and read books.”
The league is also recognizing El Mirage for making things more efficient by consolidating its’ trash and recycle services.
You can check out the website at
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier