PHOENIX — A Valley Metro bus operator is in police custody following an alleged assault.
Phoenix Police say Todd Allen Shields exchanged words with a man, physically threw him off the bus and assaulted him Friday after the victim presented a reduced fare card for passengers under the age of 18 but appeared to be older.
It happened around 11:45 a.m. on June 14 in the area of 19th Avenue and Montebello.
After investigating officers arrested Shields and charged him with one count of assault, one count of disorderly conduct and one count of criminal damages. All of the charges are misdemeanors.
The 21-year-old man’s injuries were minor but police say Shields broke the man’s cell phone.
Shields is a Valley Metro operator, employed by Veolia Transportation Services, which contracts with the City of Phoenix to manage bus service, according to a press release.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier