PHOENIX — A Valley Metro bus operator is in police custody following an alleged assault.
Phoenix Police say Todd Allen Shields exchanged words with a man, physically threw him off the bus and assaulted him Friday after the victim presented a reduced fare card for passengers under the age of 18 but appeared to be older.
It happened around 11:45 a.m. on June 14 in the area of 19th Avenue and Montebello.
After investigating officers arrested Shields and charged him with one count of assault, one count of disorderly conduct and one count of criminal damages. All of the charges are misdemeanors.
The 21-year-old man’s injuries were minor but police say Shields broke the man’s cell phone.
Shields is a Valley Metro operator, employed by Veolia Transportation Services, which contracts with the City of Phoenix to manage bus service, according to a press release.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments