PHOENIX — A Valley Metro bus operator is in police custody following an alleged assault.
Phoenix Police say Todd Allen Shields exchanged words with a man, physically threw him off the bus and assaulted him Friday after the victim presented a reduced fare card for passengers under the age of 18 but appeared to be older.
It happened around 11:45 a.m. on June 14 in the area of 19th Avenue and Montebello.
After investigating officers arrested Shields and charged him with one count of assault, one count of disorderly conduct and one count of criminal damages. All of the charges are misdemeanors.
The 21-year-old man’s injuries were minor but police say Shields broke the man’s cell phone.
Shields is a Valley Metro operator, employed by Veolia Transportation Services, which contracts with the City of Phoenix to manage bus service, according to a press release.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night