Seniors and the elderly are being victimized, as a scam sweeps across the nation.
“Unfortunately, people are falling for it and being taken advantage of,” said Felicia Thompson of the Arizona Better Business Bureau.
According to the BBB, consumers across the nation are receiving calls from crooks offering free medical alert systems.
In one scenario, a consumer was told an individual she knew had anonymously paid for all the equipment upfront, so it would only cost her $90 to activate and $35 a month for the monitoring service. The “company” did not disclose who paid for the equipment, leaving the consumer feeling vulnerable to high pressure sales tactics since “someone she knew” had paid for it.
Local consumers report being inundated with these phone calls, some as many as 10 times within a two week period. BBB strongly advises consumers not to provide any information to these callers and immediately hang up the phone.
To stay up-to-date on the latest scams affecting the marketplace, visit BBB’s Scam Stopper Resource Center at bbb.org/scamstopper.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas