Seniors and the elderly are being victimized, as a scam sweeps across the nation.
“Unfortunately, people are falling for it and being taken advantage of,” said Felicia Thompson of the Arizona Better Business Bureau.
According to the BBB, consumers across the nation are receiving calls from crooks offering free medical alert systems.
In one scenario, a consumer was told an individual she knew had anonymously paid for all the equipment upfront, so it would only cost her $90 to activate and $35 a month for the monitoring service. The “company” did not disclose who paid for the equipment, leaving the consumer feeling vulnerable to high pressure sales tactics since “someone she knew” had paid for it.
Local consumers report being inundated with these phone calls, some as many as 10 times within a two week period. BBB strongly advises consumers not to provide any information to these callers and immediately hang up the phone.
To stay up-to-date on the latest scams affecting the marketplace, visit BBB’s Scam Stopper Resource Center at bbb.org/scamstopper.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon