Seniors and the elderly are being victimized, as a scam sweeps across the nation.
“Unfortunately, people are falling for it and being taken advantage of,” said Felicia Thompson of the Arizona Better Business Bureau.
According to the BBB, consumers across the nation are receiving calls from crooks offering free medical alert systems.
In one scenario, a consumer was told an individual she knew had anonymously paid for all the equipment upfront, so it would only cost her $90 to activate and $35 a month for the monitoring service. The “company” did not disclose who paid for the equipment, leaving the consumer feeling vulnerable to high pressure sales tactics since “someone she knew” had paid for it.
Local consumers report being inundated with these phone calls, some as many as 10 times within a two week period. BBB strongly advises consumers not to provide any information to these callers and immediately hang up the phone.
To stay up-to-date on the latest scams affecting the marketplace, visit BBB’s Scam Stopper Resource Center at bbb.org/scamstopper.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments