PHOENIX — It turns out most people don’t actually know how to install their child car safety seats.
Recent inspections by the Phoenix Fire Department revealed that four out of every five child car safety seats were not installed correctly. They also found that one-third of children were riding in the wrong restraints for their age and size.
Phoenix Fire Department Cpt. Robert Johnson said installing the seats incorrectly can have serious implications.
“You don’t even have to get into a crash,” he said. “The car could just stop really fast and the seatbelts could actually hurt you if they don’t cross your body in the correct way.”
To help address the problem, the Phoenix Fire Department is hosting a free child car safety seat event Saturday at the Marketplace at Central shopping center, located at 217 E. Dunlap Ave. in Phoenix.
Certified car seat technicians will be on hand from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. to show people how to correctly install their child safety seats.
“They’re going to go over the guidelines of how to put the child in the seat properly and how to put the seat in the car properly,” he said. “If you’re not four-foot nine-inches, the seatbelts in the cars don’t fit you.”
The event is being hosted by Phoenix Vice Mayor Bill Gates, the Governor’s Office of Highway Safety and the Phoenix Fire Department.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon