PHOENIX — A pro-gun control coalition is holding a rally Friday night to urge Sen. Jeff Flake to reconsider his vote against expanded background checks.
The rally is being held on the six-month anniversary of the shooting in Newtown, Conn. A sister of, Victoria Soto, one of the victims, wrote to Flake to try to persuade him to change his mind.
“I would ask Sen. Flake to think about if it was your child who was murdered or your daughter or your son or your brother or sister, would you still do nothing,” said Jill Soto.
The rally is being hosted by numerous groups, one of which is Mayors Against Illegal Guns. On Friday, the group launched a campaign called “No More Names.” In total, the group will visit 25 states over a 100-day period to push for better gun control.
One of the group’s messages will be made clear to Flake on Friday.
“All you have to do is vote yes to have this and we can show you that lives will be saved by universal background checks,” said Jill.
The rally will be held at 7 p.m. at Indian Steele Park in Phoenix.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon