PHOENIX — A pro-gun control coalition is holding a rally Friday night to urge Sen. Jeff Flake to reconsider his vote against expanded background checks.
The rally is being held on the six-month anniversary of the shooting in Newtown, Conn. A sister of, Victoria Soto, one of the victims, wrote to Flake to try to persuade him to change his mind.
“I would ask Sen. Flake to think about if it was your child who was murdered or your daughter or your son or your brother or sister, would you still do nothing,” said Jill Soto.
The rally is being hosted by numerous groups, one of which is Mayors Against Illegal Guns. On Friday, the group launched a campaign called “No More Names.” In total, the group will visit 25 states over a 100-day period to push for better gun control.
One of the group’s messages will be made clear to Flake on Friday.
“All you have to do is vote yes to have this and we can show you that lives will be saved by universal background checks,” said Jill.
The rally will be held at 7 p.m. at Indian Steele Park in Phoenix.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night