PHOENIX — A pro-gun control coalition is holding a rally Friday night to urge Sen. Jeff Flake to reconsider his vote against expanded background checks.
The rally is being held on the six-month anniversary of the shooting in Newtown, Conn. A sister of, Victoria Soto, one of the victims, wrote to Flake to try to persuade him to change his mind.
“I would ask Sen. Flake to think about if it was your child who was murdered or your daughter or your son or your brother or sister, would you still do nothing,” said Jill Soto.
The rally is being hosted by numerous groups, one of which is Mayors Against Illegal Guns. On Friday, the group launched a campaign called “No More Names.” In total, the group will visit 25 states over a 100-day period to push for better gun control.
One of the group’s messages will be made clear to Flake on Friday.
“All you have to do is vote yes to have this and we can show you that lives will be saved by universal background checks,” said Jill.
The rally will be held at 7 p.m. at Indian Steele Park in Phoenix.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier