PHOENIX — A new report analyzes the trends and demographics of people who died in south-central Arizona after crossing the U.S.-Mexico border illegally.
“A Continued Humanitarian Crisis at the Border,” published by the University of Arizona’s Binational Migration Institute, released on June 5, takes a look at the number of migrant deaths in Arizona from 1990 to 2012.
The report says the number of immigrant deaths in that region of Arizona peaked in 2010. It concludes that periods of stronger border enforcement led to more immigrant deaths, with the theory that those crossing the border are doing so in more dangerous and remote areas than before.
The report also maps the locations of the 2,238 bodies discovered between 1990 and 2012, taking data from the Pima County Office of the Medical Examiner in Tucson.
The medical examiner’s office said the average unauthorized immigrant crossing the border is a 30-year-old male, and that 46 percent of those who died after crossing the border illegally perished due to exposure, such as the desert heat.
The report’s authors conclude, “Our hope is that policy makers will consider the data presented in this report as they debate what is arguably the single most important piece of immigration legislation in nearly three decades.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon