PHOENIX — A new report analyzes the trends and demographics of people who died in south-central Arizona after crossing the U.S.-Mexico border illegally.
“A Continued Humanitarian Crisis at the Border,” published by the University of Arizona’s Binational Migration Institute, released on June 5, takes a look at the number of migrant deaths in Arizona from 1990 to 2012.
The report says the number of immigrant deaths in that region of Arizona peaked in 2010. It concludes that periods of stronger border enforcement led to more immigrant deaths, with the theory that those crossing the border are doing so in more dangerous and remote areas than before.
The report also maps the locations of the 2,238 bodies discovered between 1990 and 2012, taking data from the Pima County Office of the Medical Examiner in Tucson.
The medical examiner’s office said the average unauthorized immigrant crossing the border is a 30-year-old male, and that 46 percent of those who died after crossing the border illegally perished due to exposure, such as the desert heat.
The report’s authors conclude, “Our hope is that policy makers will consider the data presented in this report as they debate what is arguably the single most important piece of immigration legislation in nearly three decades.”
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee