PHOENIX — The Phoenix Coyotes’ time in the Valley could be coming down to the final horn.
Glendale Councilman Gary Sherwood said he is “cautiously optimistic” the city will keep the Coyotes but he knows they’re running out of time.
“Other cities are out there lurking so we understand this is the last chance,” he said. “A lot has to happen in a short time. I know what the ramifications are going to be if we don’t have the team and that is what’s most upsetting to me.”
The Coyotes skate at Jobing.com Arena on more than 40 nights per year and that has a huge financial impact on both Westgate and the Tanger Outlet Mall.
Sherwood said the NHL has told them that, as long as things are moving forward on June 25 when the council meets next, the city likely hold on to the franchise.
Sherwood has circled July 9 on his calendar as the date he believes is the last stand, even though the NHL has not laid down a definitive deadline.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain