PHOENIX — The Phoenix Coyotes’ time in the Valley could be coming down to the final horn.
Glendale Councilman Gary Sherwood said he is “cautiously optimistic” the city will keep the Coyotes but he knows they’re running out of time.
“Other cities are out there lurking so we understand this is the last chance,” he said. “A lot has to happen in a short time. I know what the ramifications are going to be if we don’t have the team and that is what’s most upsetting to me.”
The Coyotes skate at Jobing.com Arena on more than 40 nights per year and that has a huge financial impact on both Westgate and the Tanger Outlet Mall.
Sherwood said the NHL has told them that, as long as things are moving forward on June 25 when the council meets next, the city likely hold on to the franchise.
Sherwood has circled July 9 on his calendar as the date he believes is the last stand, even though the NHL has not laid down a definitive deadline.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development