PHOENIX — The Phoenix Coyotes’ time in the Valley could be coming down to the final horn.
Glendale Councilman Gary Sherwood said he is “cautiously optimistic” the city will keep the Coyotes but he knows they’re running out of time.
“Other cities are out there lurking so we understand this is the last chance,” he said. “A lot has to happen in a short time. I know what the ramifications are going to be if we don’t have the team and that is what’s most upsetting to me.”
The Coyotes skate at Jobing.com Arena on more than 40 nights per year and that has a huge financial impact on both Westgate and the Tanger Outlet Mall.
Sherwood said the NHL has told them that, as long as things are moving forward on June 25 when the council meets next, the city likely hold on to the franchise.
Sherwood has circled July 9 on his calendar as the date he believes is the last stand, even though the NHL has not laid down a definitive deadline.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments