PHOENIX — It looks like most of us need better habits in the bathroom.
A new Michigan State University study said 95 percent of Americans do not wash their hands for long enough after using the restroom.
The findings irritate Leah Hershberger, who is a nurse at St. Joseph’s Hospital in Phoenix.
“We’ve all been in public restrooms, and we’ve all seen people walk out without washing their hands,” she said. “My first thought, immediately is ‘All of the things that they touch, then I am touching. Even if I have washed my hands properly, I am subjected to the germs that are out there, because other people aren’t washing.'”
Hershberger said that could lead to the spread of a lot of germs and diseases.
“Crypto, which is a bacteria that can make people very, very sick. The flu, colds, hepatitis — hepatitis A in particular,” she said. “You can be exposed to all of those if people don’t wash their hands well enough.”
Hershberger said there is an easy way to make sure your hands are clean: sing.
“You want to moisten your hands, put the soap on your hands, then have good scrubbing activity with the soap,” she said, adding that you should keep the soap on your hands for about the same length of time it takes to sing “Happy Birthday,” then rinse. You should also use hand sanitizer as often as possible.
Hershberger also suggested that, when leaving a public restroom, you should put a paper towel between your hand and the door handle so that you won’t catch the germs that were left by the last person.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development