PHOENIX — It looks like most of us need better habits in the bathroom.
A new Michigan State University study said 95 percent of Americans do not wash their hands for long enough after using the restroom.
The findings irritate Leah Hershberger, who is a nurse at St. Joseph’s Hospital in Phoenix.
“We’ve all been in public restrooms, and we’ve all seen people walk out without washing their hands,” she said. “My first thought, immediately is ‘All of the things that they touch, then I am touching. Even if I have washed my hands properly, I am subjected to the germs that are out there, because other people aren’t washing.'”
Hershberger said that could lead to the spread of a lot of germs and diseases.
“Crypto, which is a bacteria that can make people very, very sick. The flu, colds, hepatitis — hepatitis A in particular,” she said. “You can be exposed to all of those if people don’t wash their hands well enough.”
Hershberger said there is an easy way to make sure your hands are clean: sing.
“You want to moisten your hands, put the soap on your hands, then have good scrubbing activity with the soap,” she said, adding that you should keep the soap on your hands for about the same length of time it takes to sing “Happy Birthday,” then rinse. You should also use hand sanitizer as often as possible.
Hershberger also suggested that, when leaving a public restroom, you should put a paper towel between your hand and the door handle so that you won’t catch the germs that were left by the last person.
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again