PHOENIX — It’s a first for Arizona: Doctors at St. Joseph’s Hospital in Phoenix have performed a “lung in a box” transplant.
Instead of packing the donor’s lungs on ice, St. Joseph’s Dr. Michael Smith said a device called the Organ Care System was used to transport the lungs to the hospital for them to be implanted in a patient.
“We still give the cold preservation within the donor’s body,” said Smith. “Once we take the lungs out of the body, we put them on a machine which perfuses the lungs with blood and oxygenates them with a ventilator.”
Essentially, it keeps the lungs breathing outside of the body.
The recipient is 53-year-old lupus patient Estelle Ellington of Hawaii. She has been in St. Joseph’s for two weeks and doctors said she is doing well post-surgery.
The hospital is one of five in the country doing clinical trials on the machine.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them