PHOENIX — A class-action lawsuit was filed Tuesday in Arizona against a company that recently had its frozen berry mix recalled from Costco stores because of an outbreak of hepatitis A.
Seattle-based law firm Marler Clark filed the suit against frozen food distributor Townsend Farms on behalf of plaintiffs Gayle Prather and Christopher Mason and other residents who consumed the recalled berries and later received a hepatitis A vaccination or immune globulin injection.
The “Townsend Farms Organic Anti-Oxidant Blend” frozen berry and pomegranate seed was identified as the source of a hepatitis A outbreak among consumers in several Western states.
According to a press release, attorney William Marler “noted that the class action lawsuit asks that all class members be compensated for the cost of receiving a hepatitis A vaccine or immune globulin injection and hepatitis A testing in addition to time missed from work and other expenses incurred due to exposure to the virus.”
Marler said the suit will also ask Townsend Farms to reimburse the public health agencies for providing shot clinics and investigations related to the outbreak.
“Taxpayers should not be held responsible for this company’s sub-par food safety practices,” Marler said.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier