PHOENIX — A class-action lawsuit was filed Tuesday in Arizona against a company that recently had its frozen berry mix recalled from Costco stores because of an outbreak of hepatitis A.
Seattle-based law firm Marler Clark filed the suit against frozen food distributor Townsend Farms on behalf of plaintiffs Gayle Prather and Christopher Mason and other residents who consumed the recalled berries and later received a hepatitis A vaccination or immune globulin injection.
The “Townsend Farms Organic Anti-Oxidant Blend” frozen berry and pomegranate seed was identified as the source of a hepatitis A outbreak among consumers in several Western states.
According to a press release, attorney William Marler “noted that the class action lawsuit asks that all class members be compensated for the cost of receiving a hepatitis A vaccine or immune globulin injection and hepatitis A testing in addition to time missed from work and other expenses incurred due to exposure to the virus.”
Marler said the suit will also ask Townsend Farms to reimburse the public health agencies for providing shot clinics and investigations related to the outbreak.
“Taxpayers should not be held responsible for this company’s sub-par food safety practices,” Marler said.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night