PHOENIX — A class-action lawsuit was filed Tuesday in Arizona against a company that recently had its frozen berry mix recalled from Costco stores because of an outbreak of hepatitis A.
Seattle-based law firm Marler Clark filed the suit against frozen food distributor Townsend Farms on behalf of plaintiffs Gayle Prather and Christopher Mason and other residents who consumed the recalled berries and later received a hepatitis A vaccination or immune globulin injection.
The “Townsend Farms Organic Anti-Oxidant Blend” frozen berry and pomegranate seed was identified as the source of a hepatitis A outbreak among consumers in several Western states.
According to a press release, attorney William Marler “noted that the class action lawsuit asks that all class members be compensated for the cost of receiving a hepatitis A vaccine or immune globulin injection and hepatitis A testing in addition to time missed from work and other expenses incurred due to exposure to the virus.”
Marler said the suit will also ask Townsend Farms to reimburse the public health agencies for providing shot clinics and investigations related to the outbreak.
“Taxpayers should not be held responsible for this company’s sub-par food safety practices,” Marler said.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life