PHOENIX — Phoenix ranked No. 1 on a new list of top 10 cities for college graduates.
Apartments.com‘s sixth annual Top 10 Cities for Recent College Graduates looked at the top 100 cities with the highest apartment unit availability and then took into account each city’s employment opportunities, median income and age and average rent for a one-bedroom apartment.
The list also evaluated each city’s unemployment rate, percentage of men- and women-only households and the percentage of people living in the city between the ages of 25 and 29.
A press release from Apartments.com said:
While the national unemployment rate is moving down, competition for jobs is still stiff, with the Bureau of Labor Statistics citing 11.7 million unemployed persons (April 2013) and a mere 3.8 million available jobs (March 2013). With apartment rents increasing each year and the continuing challenges of a slower economy, it is becoming more important for recent grads to explore the possibility of starting their professional lives in a city that offers the best overall opportunity for employment, career success, living affordability and an energetic, youthful culture.
The website’s Nancy Davies said Phoenix took the top spot based on its strong employment opportunities, average salary and affordable rent prices.
According to Apartments.com, these are best cities for recent college graduates along with each city’s average rent for a one-bedroom apartment:
1. Phoenix, AZ – $708
2. Orlando, FL – $ 857
3. San Antonio, TX – $794
4. Columbus, OH – $634
5. Austin, TX – $1,006
6. Raleigh, NC – $788
7. Oklahoma City, OK – $722
8. Fort Worth, TX – $795
9. Dallas, TX – $983
10. Minneapolis, MN – $1,177
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets