PHOENIX — Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery said he doesn’t foresee any trouble finding impartial jurors for the penalty-phase retrial of convicted killer Jodi Arias.
Arias, who was found guilty of the murder of ex-boyfriend Travis Alexander, will face life in prison or execution. The original jury reached a stalemate last month and was dismissed. A new jury could be seated by late July. Montgomery is leaving the door open to input from Alexander’s family. That could scrap the new trial in favor of a life sentence for Arias.
“It’s a Constitutional right that victims have in Arizona to confer with the prosecutor and this office always endeavors to protect the rights of victims of crime,” Montgomery said.
Montgomery reiterated that Arias was found competent to stand trial originally and at this point nothing has changed his mind.
The trial has cost county taxpayers almost $2 million. Seating a new jury will add hundreds of thousands of dollars.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food