PHOENIX — Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery said he doesn’t foresee any trouble finding impartial jurors for the penalty-phase retrial of convicted killer Jodi Arias.
Arias, who was found guilty of the murder of ex-boyfriend Travis Alexander, will face life in prison or execution. The original jury reached a stalemate last month and was dismissed. A new jury could be seated by late July. Montgomery is leaving the door open to input from Alexander’s family. That could scrap the new trial in favor of a life sentence for Arias.
“It’s a Constitutional right that victims have in Arizona to confer with the prosecutor and this office always endeavors to protect the rights of victims of crime,” Montgomery said.
Montgomery reiterated that Arias was found competent to stand trial originally and at this point nothing has changed his mind.
The trial has cost county taxpayers almost $2 million. Seating a new jury will add hundreds of thousands of dollars.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life