PHOENIX — Arizona Republican Gov. Jan Brewer is taking some heat over her Medicaid plan from a member of her own party.
Former State Senate President Russell Pearce said Brewer’s Medicaid expansion plan is bad for Arizona.
“It will grow socialism in Arizona at a level that it has never been grown before,” said Pearce. “When you do that, every state that has 30 percent or more of its people on government programs, obviously, goes blue,” indicating that the Democrats would become the dominant political party in Arizona.
“You’re going to have everybody in the world that relies on government, so you’re going to vote for more government. It’s the nature of the beast,” Pearce said. “That’s what a democracy does. When you can vote yourself for your neighbor’s stuff, you vote yourself for your neighbor’s stuff. That’s the risk of a democracy. That’s why we live in a republic, where we reject the democratic form of government.”
Pearce also said the federal government cannot afford the Medicaid program.
“They’re out of money. They’re trillions of dollars in debt, so there is no money,” he said. “This game has got to stop.”
Pearce said if he were still in the legislature, he would do everything he could to stop the governor’s plan from passing.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon