PHOENIX — Arizona Republican Gov. Jan Brewer is taking some heat over her Medicaid plan from a member of her own party.
Former State Senate President Russell Pearce said Brewer’s Medicaid expansion plan is bad for Arizona.
“It will grow socialism in Arizona at a level that it has never been grown before,” said Pearce. “When you do that, every state that has 30 percent or more of its people on government programs, obviously, goes blue,” indicating that the Democrats would become the dominant political party in Arizona.
“You’re going to have everybody in the world that relies on government, so you’re going to vote for more government. It’s the nature of the beast,” Pearce said. “That’s what a democracy does. When you can vote yourself for your neighbor’s stuff, you vote yourself for your neighbor’s stuff. That’s the risk of a democracy. That’s why we live in a republic, where we reject the democratic form of government.”
Pearce also said the federal government cannot afford the Medicaid program.
“They’re out of money. They’re trillions of dollars in debt, so there is no money,” he said. “This game has got to stop.”
Pearce said if he were still in the legislature, he would do everything he could to stop the governor’s plan from passing.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.