PHOENIX — Arizona Republican Gov. Jan Brewer is taking some heat over her Medicaid plan from a member of her own party.
Former State Senate President Russell Pearce said Brewer’s Medicaid expansion plan is bad for Arizona.
“It will grow socialism in Arizona at a level that it has never been grown before,” said Pearce. “When you do that, every state that has 30 percent or more of its people on government programs, obviously, goes blue,” indicating that the Democrats would become the dominant political party in Arizona.
“You’re going to have everybody in the world that relies on government, so you’re going to vote for more government. It’s the nature of the beast,” Pearce said. “That’s what a democracy does. When you can vote yourself for your neighbor’s stuff, you vote yourself for your neighbor’s stuff. That’s the risk of a democracy. That’s why we live in a republic, where we reject the democratic form of government.”
Pearce also said the federal government cannot afford the Medicaid program.
“They’re out of money. They’re trillions of dollars in debt, so there is no money,” he said. “This game has got to stop.”
Pearce said if he were still in the legislature, he would do everything he could to stop the governor’s plan from passing.
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise