PHOENIX — It’s been a relatively short time since the Nissan LEAF electric car first hit the market. Initially, some consumers were a bit concerned about the availability of charging stations and getting left stranded on the road.
Their concern was rightfully justified. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, in 2011 there were only 5,160 public charging stations across the nation, with only 40 in Arizona.
Fast forward to 2013: The U.S. Department of Energy reports, to date, there are 14,276 stations nationwide, including 731 in Arizona.
“We really are creating a very robust ecosystem and rich infrastructure out there for EV (electric vehicle) charge-ups today,” said Collin Read, vice president of corporate development for ECOtality, which is responsible for most of the charging stations in the country.
“What we’ve tried to do is make sure that we put commercially available, publicly available chargers where people work, shop, eat and play,” Read added.
ECOtality has installed roughly 12,000 chargers across the country which have serviced more than 100,000 electric vehicles.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development