PHOENIX — It’s been a relatively short time since the Nissan LEAF electric car first hit the market. Initially, some consumers were a bit concerned about the availability of charging stations and getting left stranded on the road.
Their concern was rightfully justified. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, in 2011 there were only 5,160 public charging stations across the nation, with only 40 in Arizona.
Fast forward to 2013: The U.S. Department of Energy reports, to date, there are 14,276 stations nationwide, including 731 in Arizona.
“We really are creating a very robust ecosystem and rich infrastructure out there for EV (electric vehicle) charge-ups today,” said Collin Read, vice president of corporate development for ECOtality, which is responsible for most of the charging stations in the country.
“What we’ve tried to do is make sure that we put commercially available, publicly available chargers where people work, shop, eat and play,” Read added.
ECOtality has installed roughly 12,000 chargers across the country which have serviced more than 100,000 electric vehicles.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments