PHOENIX — It’s been a relatively short time since the Nissan LEAF electric car first hit the market. Initially, some consumers were a bit concerned about the availability of charging stations and getting left stranded on the road.
Their concern was rightfully justified. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, in 2011 there were only 5,160 public charging stations across the nation, with only 40 in Arizona.
Fast forward to 2013: The U.S. Department of Energy reports, to date, there are 14,276 stations nationwide, including 731 in Arizona.
“We really are creating a very robust ecosystem and rich infrastructure out there for EV (electric vehicle) charge-ups today,” said Collin Read, vice president of corporate development for ECOtality, which is responsible for most of the charging stations in the country.
“What we’ve tried to do is make sure that we put commercially available, publicly available chargers where people work, shop, eat and play,” Read added.
ECOtality has installed roughly 12,000 chargers across the country which have serviced more than 100,000 electric vehicles.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy