PHOENIX — It’s been a relatively short time since the Nissan LEAF electric car first hit the market. Initially, some consumers were a bit concerned about the availability of charging stations and getting left stranded on the road.
Their concern was rightfully justified. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, in 2011 there were only 5,160 public charging stations across the nation, with only 40 in Arizona.
Fast forward to 2013: The U.S. Department of Energy reports, to date, there are 14,276 stations nationwide, including 731 in Arizona.
“We really are creating a very robust ecosystem and rich infrastructure out there for EV (electric vehicle) charge-ups today,” said Collin Read, vice president of corporate development for ECOtality, which is responsible for most of the charging stations in the country.
“What we’ve tried to do is make sure that we put commercially available, publicly available chargers where people work, shop, eat and play,” Read added.
ECOtality has installed roughly 12,000 chargers across the country which have serviced more than 100,000 electric vehicles.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes