PHOENIX — A new billboard is going up in Phoenix that encourages Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake to disassociate himself with the so-called “Gang of Eight” senators that are trying to push an immigration bill through the U.S. Senate.
The billboard is located near 32nd street and the I-10 freeway, just south of Sky Harbor Airport.
Its supporters picketed outside of Flake’s Phoenix office Tuesday to say the plan is a form of amnesty that would offer a path to citizenship to 11 million illegal immigrants who are already in the country. They claimed the proposed bill would also bring 33 million foreign workers into the U.S.
Former Valley car dealer Rusty Childress said that would be bad news for about 20 million Americans who are already citizens and looking for work.
“That is a lot of competition to bring that much foreign labor, both legal and illegal immigration, into this country,” said Childress. “It (the country) just can’t handle the competition. This is bad timing.”
Childress said the bill mirrors what he calls the failed policies of the 1986 amnesty plan.
Former Arizona Senate President Russell Pearce said the U.S. should do something to encourage the illegal immigrants currently in this country to leave.
“Give them no jobs. Stop them with traffic stops. Don’t give them any free stuff. Enforce the law like any other law we have on the books. It’s not hard to do,” said Pearce.
Pearce, the co-author of Arizona’s controversial SB 1070 immigration law in 2010, said the Obama administration should stand behind American law.
“Why are we apologizing for enforcing our laws?,” Pearce asked. “Why do we apologize for standing up for Americans? Why do we apologize for demanding that Americans have the first right to those jobs? Why do we apologize for demanding a secure border? Why? Why? Shame on those that do! Shame on them!”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.