PHOENIX — A new billboard is going up in Phoenix that encourages Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake to disassociate himself with the so-called “Gang of Eight” senators that are trying to push an immigration bill through the U.S. Senate.
The billboard is located near 32nd street and the I-10 freeway, just south of Sky Harbor Airport.
Its supporters picketed outside of Flake’s Phoenix office Tuesday to say the plan is a form of amnesty that would offer a path to citizenship to 11 million illegal immigrants who are already in the country. They claimed the proposed bill would also bring 33 million foreign workers into the U.S.
Former Valley car dealer Rusty Childress said that would be bad news for about 20 million Americans who are already citizens and looking for work.
“That is a lot of competition to bring that much foreign labor, both legal and illegal immigration, into this country,” said Childress. “It (the country) just can’t handle the competition. This is bad timing.”
Childress said the bill mirrors what he calls the failed policies of the 1986 amnesty plan.
Former Arizona Senate President Russell Pearce said the U.S. should do something to encourage the illegal immigrants currently in this country to leave.
“Give them no jobs. Stop them with traffic stops. Don’t give them any free stuff. Enforce the law like any other law we have on the books. It’s not hard to do,” said Pearce.
Pearce, the co-author of Arizona’s controversial SB 1070 immigration law in 2010, said the Obama administration should stand behind American law.
“Why are we apologizing for enforcing our laws?,” Pearce asked. “Why do we apologize for standing up for Americans? Why do we apologize for demanding that Americans have the first right to those jobs? Why do we apologize for demanding a secure border? Why? Why? Shame on those that do! Shame on them!”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon