GILBERT, Ariz. — The town of Gilbert is considering a new entertainment district near downtown.
“The town of Gilbert is proposing an arts, culture and entertainment district,” said Gilbert Planning Manager Linda Edwards.
The proposal, according to officials, does not replace any current zoning but instead adds a subset within the Heritage District.
The arts, culture and entertainment district would be near downtown Gilbert at Gilbert Road and Elliot. The district would run on the east and west side of Gilbert Road, from Juniper Avenue on the north, to just south of Elliot.
“The pros of adding this new arts, culture and entertainment district would permit certain businesses to develop that would provide a 24-hour atmosphere for our downtown, such as a microbrewery, a bar or a nightclub,” said Edwards.
The designation would allow establishments to serve alcohol within 300 feet of a school or a church, which is currently prohibited by law.
The town is hosting an informational meeting at the Gilbert Community Center located at 130 N. Oak Street in the Maple Room. It starts at 5 p.m. on June 17.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night