GILBERT, Ariz. — The town of Gilbert is considering a new entertainment district near downtown.
“The town of Gilbert is proposing an arts, culture and entertainment district,” said Gilbert Planning Manager Linda Edwards.
The proposal, according to officials, does not replace any current zoning but instead adds a subset within the Heritage District.
The arts, culture and entertainment district would be near downtown Gilbert at Gilbert Road and Elliot. The district would run on the east and west side of Gilbert Road, from Juniper Avenue on the north, to just south of Elliot.
“The pros of adding this new arts, culture and entertainment district would permit certain businesses to develop that would provide a 24-hour atmosphere for our downtown, such as a microbrewery, a bar or a nightclub,” said Edwards.
The designation would allow establishments to serve alcohol within 300 feet of a school or a church, which is currently prohibited by law.
The town is hosting an informational meeting at the Gilbert Community Center located at 130 N. Oak Street in the Maple Room. It starts at 5 p.m. on June 17.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development