PHOENIX – The scorching heat is not the only thing we have worry about this season in the state of Arizona.
According to ABC15.com, changes in weather conditions during monsoon season bring not only dust storms and heavy rain, but also fungi that can enter our respiratory systems and cause Valley fever.
But how can you tell if you have it?
Dr. John Galgiani, Director of the University of Arizona’s Valley Fever Center for Excellence says that symptoms like sweat, coughing, chest pain, night sweats and fever are some of the most common symptoms.
ABC 15 reports that two-thirds of all infections occur in Arizona, and out of those, 80 percent show up in Maricopa County alone.
Dr. Galgiani says that most people get over the symptoms:
“but a small percentage go on to have these very serious problems. There’s approximately 400 of those a year in Arizona and approximately 100 deaths a year from this disease,”
Pregnant women, the elderly and people with weak immune systems are more prone to getting the disease.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food