PHOENIX – The scorching heat is not the only thing we have worry about this season in the state of Arizona.
According to ABC15.com, changes in weather conditions during monsoon season bring not only dust storms and heavy rain, but also fungi that can enter our respiratory systems and cause Valley fever.
But how can you tell if you have it?
Dr. John Galgiani, Director of the University of Arizona’s Valley Fever Center for Excellence says that symptoms like sweat, coughing, chest pain, night sweats and fever are some of the most common symptoms.
ABC 15 reports that two-thirds of all infections occur in Arizona, and out of those, 80 percent show up in Maricopa County alone.
Dr. Galgiani says that most people get over the symptoms:
“but a small percentage go on to have these very serious problems. There’s approximately 400 of those a year in Arizona and approximately 100 deaths a year from this disease,”
Pregnant women, the elderly and people with weak immune systems are more prone to getting the disease.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development