GLENDALE, Ariz. — Two sisters have been found safe after police said they ran away from their Glendale home over the weekend.
Nine-year-old Taylor Jo Challis and her 16-year-old sister spent the day together on Saturday, but only Challis returned home that night, according to police.
“Then Sunday morning, (Taylor) woke up and was seen by family members at the house,” said Sgt. Jay O’Neil. The family lives in the 6100 block of West Echo Lane. By 11 a.m. when a family member went to wake her, she was gone.
The family told authorities they suspected Challis snuck out to search for her older sister.
Both girls were found later in the day, but in different locations. The 16-year-old was found in near 43rd and Maryland avenues. Her younger sister, nicknamed Bailey, was found in Phoenix near 35th Avenue and Bethany Home Road.
Detectives have interviewed the girls, but it is still unknown why they ran away.
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains