PHOENIX — Monsoon Awareness week begins this week and national and state agencies are encouraging Arizona residents to gear up for severe weather.
The monsoon officially kicks off Saturday and ends Sept. 30. Thunderstorms, high winds, heavy rains, dust storms are not expected to start until early July.That leaves plenty of time to put together enough food and water to carry a household through 72 hours if the power goes out.
“With strong winds it is not uncommon for power to get knocked out for hours at a time or even days at a time,” said Dan Leins with the National Weather Service. “So be prepared on the outside chance that something like that happens. It is a possibility.”
Leins said emergency supplies should include a first-aid kit, radio, batteries, flashlight, among other items.
Pack a smaller ‘go kit’ with important documents, cash and phone charger in case of evacuation. Write communication and evacuation plans that identify a family meeting place, account for special needs and pets and include an out-of-town contact. Practice the plan.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.