PHOENIX — Monsoon Awareness week begins this week and national and state agencies are encouraging Arizona residents to gear up for severe weather.
The monsoon officially kicks off Saturday and ends Sept. 30. Thunderstorms, high winds, heavy rains, dust storms are not expected to start until early July.That leaves plenty of time to put together enough food and water to carry a household through 72 hours if the power goes out.
“With strong winds it is not uncommon for power to get knocked out for hours at a time or even days at a time,” said Dan Leins with the National Weather Service. “So be prepared on the outside chance that something like that happens. It is a possibility.”
Leins said emergency supplies should include a first-aid kit, radio, batteries, flashlight, among other items.
Pack a smaller ‘go kit’ with important documents, cash and phone charger in case of evacuation. Write communication and evacuation plans that identify a family meeting place, account for special needs and pets and include an out-of-town contact. Practice the plan.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick