PHOENIX — If it weren’t for programs like the USDA’s Summer Food Service Program, needy valley children would not have access to nutritious meals during their summer vacation.
The program is administered by the Arizona Department of Education and every year feeds millions of meals to hungry kids across the state.
“In 2012, Arizona served over 3.3 million meals in the Summer Feeding Program,” said Mary Szafranski, deputy associate superintendent of health and nutrition services for the department of education. “That represents that there are a lot of children needing that food.”
According to the Department of Education, the Summer Food Service Program was established to ensure that low-income children, 18 and younger, continue to have an opportunity to receive nutritious meals when school is not in session. Free meals, that meet federal nutrition guidlines, are provided to all children at approved SFSP sites in areas with significant concentrations of low-income children.
“They just go up and get their meal,” said Szafranski.
Currently, the Arizona Department of Education is looking for SFSP sponsors. To learn more, visit azsummerfood.gov/sponsors.
If you need to find out where your child can have access to free meals anywhere in the state, visit azsummerfood.gov. Follow the link to food site locations and enter your zip code.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon