PHOENIX — After nearly a year, the Grand Veteran’s Village near 35th Avenue and Indian School is now a reality.
The organization U.S. Vets Phoenix started the renovation of a run-down hotel in July 2012. The goal was to create apartment units for vets in need.
“What we found through our homeless programs, some of the veterans that were getting out weren’t able to find an apartment, despite having a job,” said John Scott of U.S. Vets.
“Because of credit history, past eviction they couldn’t find a place to live. So this is kind of the final phase of their cycle of ending homelessness and moving into permanent housing,” he said.
The complex has apartment units for up to 130 veterans in need. Over 100 veterans are already calling the Grand Veteran’s Village home.
Veterans will have access to job support and therapy to address issues like addiction and PTSD.
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains