PHOENIX — After nearly a year, the Grand Veteran’s Village near 35th Avenue and Indian School is now a reality.
The organization U.S. Vets Phoenix started the renovation of a run-down hotel in July 2012. The goal was to create apartment units for vets in need.
“What we found through our homeless programs, some of the veterans that were getting out weren’t able to find an apartment, despite having a job,” said John Scott of U.S. Vets.
“Because of credit history, past eviction they couldn’t find a place to live. So this is kind of the final phase of their cycle of ending homelessness and moving into permanent housing,” he said.
The complex has apartment units for up to 130 veterans in need. Over 100 veterans are already calling the Grand Veteran’s Village home.
Veterans will have access to job support and therapy to address issues like addiction and PTSD.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets