PHOENIX — After nearly a year, the Grand Veteran’s Village near 35th Avenue and Indian School is now a reality.
The organization U.S. Vets Phoenix started the renovation of a run-down hotel in July 2012. The goal was to create apartment units for vets in need.
“What we found through our homeless programs, some of the veterans that were getting out weren’t able to find an apartment, despite having a job,” said John Scott of U.S. Vets.
“Because of credit history, past eviction they couldn’t find a place to live. So this is kind of the final phase of their cycle of ending homelessness and moving into permanent housing,” he said.
The complex has apartment units for up to 130 veterans in need. Over 100 veterans are already calling the Grand Veteran’s Village home.
Veterans will have access to job support and therapy to address issues like addiction and PTSD.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development