PHOENIX — A Paulden, Ariz., woman was arrested Wednesday on nine counts of child abuse and neglect, the Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office said in a release.
Sonia Rios, 30, first came to police attention in late 2012, when detectives learned her 2-year-old son had been hit with a garden hose and flyswatter. The boy was also malnourished and purposefully underfed. His siblings were able to sneak him food they took from school.
Also in 2012, Rios had a child taken from her by Child Protective Services after it was found to be dependent on a narcotic. Evidence showed that at least two more may have a narcotic dependency.
Rios’ 9- and 11-year-old both reported beatings that used spoons, a belt and a garden hose.
Rios made efforts to avoid arrests in past investigations. She was arrested after police learned she had an appointment at a medical clinic.
All six of Rios’ children are in the care of either CPS or have been adopted.
Anyone with more information on these crimes is asked to contact YCSO at (928) 771-3260 or anonymously at (800) 932-3232.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas