PHOENIX — A Paulden, Ariz., woman was arrested Wednesday on nine counts of child abuse and neglect, the Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office said in a release.
Sonia Rios, 30, first came to police attention in late 2012, when detectives learned her 2-year-old son had been hit with a garden hose and flyswatter. The boy was also malnourished and purposefully underfed. His siblings were able to sneak him food they took from school.
Also in 2012, Rios had a child taken from her by Child Protective Services after it was found to be dependent on a narcotic. Evidence showed that at least two more may have a narcotic dependency.
Rios’ 9- and 11-year-old both reported beatings that used spoons, a belt and a garden hose.
Rios made efforts to avoid arrests in past investigations. She was arrested after police learned she had an appointment at a medical clinic.
All six of Rios’ children are in the care of either CPS or have been adopted.
Anyone with more information on these crimes is asked to contact YCSO at (928) 771-3260 or anonymously at (800) 932-3232.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night