PHOENIX — A Paulden, Ariz., woman was arrested Wednesday on nine counts of child abuse and neglect, the Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office said in a release.
Sonia Rios, 30, first came to police attention in late 2012, when detectives learned her 2-year-old son had been hit with a garden hose and flyswatter. The boy was also malnourished and purposefully underfed. His siblings were able to sneak him food they took from school.
Also in 2012, Rios had a child taken from her by Child Protective Services after it was found to be dependent on a narcotic. Evidence showed that at least two more may have a narcotic dependency.
Rios’ 9- and 11-year-old both reported beatings that used spoons, a belt and a garden hose.
Rios made efforts to avoid arrests in past investigations. She was arrested after police learned she had an appointment at a medical clinic.
All six of Rios’ children are in the care of either CPS or have been adopted.
Anyone with more information on these crimes is asked to contact YCSO at (928) 771-3260 or anonymously at (800) 932-3232.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon