PHOENIX — The sizzling heat has hit and we’re all trying to stay cool and so are the rattlesnakes.
When it gets this hot they look at homes and garages as a big cave.
“People leave doors open while they’re having a barbeque or the garage door open while they’re working on a car,” said Rattlesnake Solutions owner Brian Hughes. “Snakes come right in. It’s a cool place out of the sun with goodies and that’s the place they would want to go.”
Backyard bushes and rock piles are another favorite hideout, especially near swimming pools.
“That’s practically an oasis to them and they will show up there because it’s useful to them.”
Hughes said his company is responding to about six calls on rattlesnakes per day.
“A guy from Scottsdale called me who thought he had a single snake in his garage,” he said. “I went in there and found five of them sitting in the dark.”
What do you do if you find a rattler in the garage or backyard? Hughes says do nothing on your own. Call an expert.
Snake removal runs up to $150, a much cheaper option than the medical bills that can result should an untrained person attempt to handle a rattlesnake.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy