PHOENIX — The sizzling heat has hit and we’re all trying to stay cool and so are the rattlesnakes.
When it gets this hot they look at homes and garages as a big cave.
“People leave doors open while they’re having a barbeque or the garage door open while they’re working on a car,” said Rattlesnake Solutions owner Brian Hughes. “Snakes come right in. It’s a cool place out of the sun with goodies and that’s the place they would want to go.”
Backyard bushes and rock piles are another favorite hideout, especially near swimming pools.
“That’s practically an oasis to them and they will show up there because it’s useful to them.”
Hughes said his company is responding to about six calls on rattlesnakes per day.
“A guy from Scottsdale called me who thought he had a single snake in his garage,” he said. “I went in there and found five of them sitting in the dark.”
What do you do if you find a rattler in the garage or backyard? Hughes says do nothing on your own. Call an expert.
Snake removal runs up to $150, a much cheaper option than the medical bills that can result should an untrained person attempt to handle a rattlesnake.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas