PHOENIX — Your child may be young now, but someday they’ll be heading off to college. You probably need to start saving money now to pay for it.
Mike Sullivan of the Take Charge America Consumer Credit Counseling service is suggesting three plans that might help you save.
One is called the 529 plan, which allows you to save up tax free earnings for high learning.
“It can be mutual funds or CDs, whatever your state happens to offer,” Sullivan said. “You can contribute every year. In most states, including Arizona, you get some kind of a tax benefit for your donations.”
Sullivan said another savings plan is called Coverdell. It used to be called an education IRA.
“There’s a smaller limit as to how much you can put into a Coverdell,” Sullivan said. “But there’s also a little more flexibility even than a 529 plan. If you’re only saving small amounts, say a couple of thousand dollars a year, I personally think it’s just as good as a 529, maybe even a little bit better.”
The third savings plan is the Roth IRA.
“It’s not really a college savings vehicle, it’s a retirement savings vehicle,” Sullivan said. “But you can withdraw your contribution for higher education purposes without a penalty.”
When asked which plan he would personally choose, Sullivan said the 529 plan is the best for people who can sock money away for their kids’ college.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy