PHOENIX — Your child may be young now, but someday they’ll be heading off to college. You probably need to start saving money now to pay for it.
Mike Sullivan of the Take Charge America Consumer Credit Counseling service is suggesting three plans that might help you save.
One is called the 529 plan, which allows you to save up tax free earnings for high learning.
“It can be mutual funds or CDs, whatever your state happens to offer,” Sullivan said. “You can contribute every year. In most states, including Arizona, you get some kind of a tax benefit for your donations.”
Sullivan said another savings plan is called Coverdell. It used to be called an education IRA.
“There’s a smaller limit as to how much you can put into a Coverdell,” Sullivan said. “But there’s also a little more flexibility even than a 529 plan. If you’re only saving small amounts, say a couple of thousand dollars a year, I personally think it’s just as good as a 529, maybe even a little bit better.”
The third savings plan is the Roth IRA.
“It’s not really a college savings vehicle, it’s a retirement savings vehicle,” Sullivan said. “But you can withdraw your contribution for higher education purposes without a penalty.”
When asked which plan he would personally choose, Sullivan said the 529 plan is the best for people who can sock money away for their kids’ college.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.