PHOENIX — Summer is a great time for kids to learn the importance of volunteering.
Janet Garcia is the Vice President of Community Impact for the Valley of the Sun United Way. She recently spoke with some teenaged volunteers.
“I asked them if they enjoyed what they were doing, and their response was ‘Well it’s a lot better than sitting at home being bored,'” Garcia said.
Volunteering can make kids realize that they can make a difference in other people’s lives.
Garcia said if the parents join in, it can be quality family time.
“When parents volunteer together, it’s a great bonding opportunity,” Garcia said. “The kids see their parents modeling and it can be a whole lot of fun.”
Garcia said the Valley of the Sun United Way has a great way for teens to volunteer this summer by reading to smaller children.
“On our website, we have our million minutes volunteer reading challenge,” Garcia said. “You can go on there and find places to read and sign up to log your minutes and help us reach our million minute goal.”
The goal is to have teens and other volunteers read to smaller children for one million minutes this summer.
You can volunteer for the program at Valley of the Sun United Way.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier