PHOENIX — Summer is a great time for kids to learn the importance of volunteering.
Janet Garcia is the Vice President of Community Impact for the Valley of the Sun United Way. She recently spoke with some teenaged volunteers.
“I asked them if they enjoyed what they were doing, and their response was ‘Well it’s a lot better than sitting at home being bored,'” Garcia said.
Volunteering can make kids realize that they can make a difference in other people’s lives.
Garcia said if the parents join in, it can be quality family time.
“When parents volunteer together, it’s a great bonding opportunity,” Garcia said. “The kids see their parents modeling and it can be a whole lot of fun.”
Garcia said the Valley of the Sun United Way has a great way for teens to volunteer this summer by reading to smaller children.
“On our website, we have our million minutes volunteer reading challenge,” Garcia said. “You can go on there and find places to read and sign up to log your minutes and help us reach our million minute goal.”
The goal is to have teens and other volunteers read to smaller children for one million minutes this summer.
You can volunteer for the program at Valley of the Sun United Way.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night