PHOENIX — Summer is a great time for kids to learn the importance of volunteering.
Janet Garcia is the Vice President of Community Impact for the Valley of the Sun United Way. She recently spoke with some teenaged volunteers.
“I asked them if they enjoyed what they were doing, and their response was ‘Well it’s a lot better than sitting at home being bored,'” Garcia said.
Volunteering can make kids realize that they can make a difference in other people’s lives.
Garcia said if the parents join in, it can be quality family time.
“When parents volunteer together, it’s a great bonding opportunity,” Garcia said. “The kids see their parents modeling and it can be a whole lot of fun.”
Garcia said the Valley of the Sun United Way has a great way for teens to volunteer this summer by reading to smaller children.
“On our website, we have our million minutes volunteer reading challenge,” Garcia said. “You can go on there and find places to read and sign up to log your minutes and help us reach our million minute goal.”
The goal is to have teens and other volunteers read to smaller children for one million minutes this summer.
You can volunteer for the program at Valley of the Sun United Way.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets