PHOENIX — There’s growing concern in communities like Heber-Overgaard, Pinetop, Lakeside, Show Low and other high country communities as the heat wave sets in.
Pinetop Fire Marshal Kelly Wood said store-bought notebook paper has more moisture in it than the humidity in that area.
“Notebook paper has 12 percent humidity and, right now, we’re at 9 percent humidity here.”
Wood said fire conditions are worse than they were two years ago when the Wallow Fire burned almost 550,000 acres in eastern Arizona. It become the largest fire in state history.
“Our energy release components show that there is a 95 percent chance that any spark that hits the ground would start a fire,” said Wood. “During 2002, that number was at 98 percent and we had the 470,000-acre Rodeo-Chediski Fire. During the 2011 Wallow Fire, we were at 89 percent.”
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development