PHOENIX — With temperatures approaching 110 degrees in the Valley of the Sun, it’s a good time to remind people not leave children and pets inside a car.
“Seven, four, 16,” said Phoenix Fire Deputy Chief Chris Ketterer. “Already in the United States (this year), we’ve lost seven children in four states over a period of 16 days.”
Ketterer said none of those deaths have happened in the Phoenix area, but there has been a close call.
Last month, a Phoenix mother found her child still in the car, hours after the family had returned home from church. Fortunately, the child survived.
The fire department demonstrated just how quickly the interior of a car heats up with a large thermometer. It read 100 degrees as it sat outside of a convenience store at Third Avenue and Indian School Road.
The thermometer was placed inside a parked car. Within 10 minutes the temperature reached over 140 degrees. That could lead to serious injuries or even death for kids or pets left in a car.
Fire Captain Larry Nunez is encouraging parents to use a teddy bear inside the car as a reminder to get their kids out. Leave it in the child’s car seat. When the child goes into the car seat, move the teddy bear to the front seat.
“That way, you have something immediately right there by your hands to remind yourself in the back,” Nunez said.
Signs reminding people not to leave kids in the car “even for a few minutes,” are being posted at the entrances at QuikTrip stores in metro Phoenix.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.