PHOENIX — With temperatures approaching 110 degrees in the Valley of the Sun, it’s a good time to remind people not leave children and pets inside a car.
“Seven, four, 16,” said Phoenix Fire Deputy Chief Chris Ketterer. “Already in the United States (this year), we’ve lost seven children in four states over a period of 16 days.”
Ketterer said none of those deaths have happened in the Phoenix area, but there has been a close call.
Last month, a Phoenix mother found her child still in the car, hours after the family had returned home from church. Fortunately, the child survived.
The fire department demonstrated just how quickly the interior of a car heats up with a large thermometer. It read 100 degrees as it sat outside of a convenience store at Third Avenue and Indian School Road.
The thermometer was placed inside a parked car. Within 10 minutes the temperature reached over 140 degrees. That could lead to serious injuries or even death for kids or pets left in a car.
Fire Captain Larry Nunez is encouraging parents to use a teddy bear inside the car as a reminder to get their kids out. Leave it in the child’s car seat. When the child goes into the car seat, move the teddy bear to the front seat.
“That way, you have something immediately right there by your hands to remind yourself in the back,” Nunez said.
Signs reminding people not to leave kids in the car “even for a few minutes,” are being posted at the entrances at QuikTrip stores in metro Phoenix.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development