PHOENIX — The Arizona Legislative session could end next week but not before dealing with the budget and Gov. Jan Brewer’s plan to expand Medicaid.
Arizona House Democratic leader Chad Campbell said the budget and Medicaid will take center stage Monday or Tuesday. He said the Medicaid expansion proposal has been the most contentious issue that he has dealt with in his seven years at the Capitol.
“It’s something that a substantial amount of House Republicans like,” he said. “I have no doubt in my mind that there’s a majority of House members that will vote for the budget and Medicaid package as it came out of the Senate.”
Republican Rep. John Kavanagh strongly opposes the expansion of Medicaid to 300,000 more Arizonans. Unlike Campbell, he doesn’t believe the lengthy session will come to an end next week and maybe not even the week afterward.
“If it passes the House it will go to the Governor’s office. I’m hoping it (Medicaid expansion) fails. If it gets a fair vote and it fails I hope the governor gives up on it and doesn’t drag this out and continue to rip the party apart.”
Kavanagh said House Republicans will try to craft something that is more acceptable than the Senate-passed expansion of Medicaid.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon