PHOENIX — The Arizona Legislative session could end next week but not before dealing with the budget and Gov. Jan Brewer’s plan to expand Medicaid.
Arizona House Democratic leader Chad Campbell said the budget and Medicaid will take center stage Monday or Tuesday. He said the Medicaid expansion proposal has been the most contentious issue that he has dealt with in his seven years at the Capitol.
“It’s something that a substantial amount of House Republicans like,” he said. “I have no doubt in my mind that there’s a majority of House members that will vote for the budget and Medicaid package as it came out of the Senate.”
Republican Rep. John Kavanagh strongly opposes the expansion of Medicaid to 300,000 more Arizonans. Unlike Campbell, he doesn’t believe the lengthy session will come to an end next week and maybe not even the week afterward.
“If it passes the House it will go to the Governor’s office. I’m hoping it (Medicaid expansion) fails. If it gets a fair vote and it fails I hope the governor gives up on it and doesn’t drag this out and continue to rip the party apart.”
Kavanagh said House Republicans will try to craft something that is more acceptable than the Senate-passed expansion of Medicaid.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.