PHOENIX — The number of hepatitis A cases linked to frozen berries sold at a warehouse grocery store has doubled in less than a week.
“The 61 cases are spread over seven states,” said Dr. Rebecca Sunenshine with Maricopa County Public Health. “We have nine cases total in Arizona, seven of which are in Maricopa County.”
Costco pulled Townsend Farms Organic Antioxidant Blend frozen berry mix from shelves after the news of the outbreak.
Sunenshine said anyone who consumed the berries within 14 days can get a vaccine to prevent illness, if it’s been longer the vaccine will be ineffective.
“For those folks, you need to watch for symptoms of hepatitis A and if there is any concerns, see your healthcare provider,” she said.
Hepatitis A is a viral disease that affects the liver. It develops two to six weeks after exposure. Disease symptoms include: Fever, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting abdominal pain and yellowing of the skin.
Maricopa County Public Health is offering free hepatitis A vaccines. To learn more, visit wearepublichealth.org.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night