PHOENIX — The number of hepatitis A cases linked to frozen berries sold at a warehouse grocery store has doubled in less than a week.
“The 61 cases are spread over seven states,” said Dr. Rebecca Sunenshine with Maricopa County Public Health. “We have nine cases total in Arizona, seven of which are in Maricopa County.”
Costco pulled Townsend Farms Organic Antioxidant Blend frozen berry mix from shelves after the news of the outbreak.
Sunenshine said anyone who consumed the berries within 14 days can get a vaccine to prevent illness, if it’s been longer the vaccine will be ineffective.
“For those folks, you need to watch for symptoms of hepatitis A and if there is any concerns, see your healthcare provider,” she said.
Hepatitis A is a viral disease that affects the liver. It develops two to six weeks after exposure. Disease symptoms include: Fever, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting abdominal pain and yellowing of the skin.
Maricopa County Public Health is offering free hepatitis A vaccines. To learn more, visit wearepublichealth.org.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick