PHOENIX — The number of hepatitis A cases linked to frozen berries sold at a warehouse grocery store has doubled in less than a week.
“The 61 cases are spread over seven states,” said Dr. Rebecca Sunenshine with Maricopa County Public Health. “We have nine cases total in Arizona, seven of which are in Maricopa County.”
Costco pulled Townsend Farms Organic Antioxidant Blend frozen berry mix from shelves after the news of the outbreak.
Sunenshine said anyone who consumed the berries within 14 days can get a vaccine to prevent illness, if it’s been longer the vaccine will be ineffective.
“For those folks, you need to watch for symptoms of hepatitis A and if there is any concerns, see your healthcare provider,” she said.
Hepatitis A is a viral disease that affects the liver. It develops two to six weeks after exposure. Disease symptoms include: Fever, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting abdominal pain and yellowing of the skin.
Maricopa County Public Health is offering free hepatitis A vaccines. To learn more, visit wearepublichealth.org.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development