PHOENIX — The hot weather and the lure of a cool pool can lead to danger for many children, especially infants.
The owner of a Valley swim school said there are things parents can do to make sure infants can survive in the water.
At the Hubbard Family Swim School in Phoenix, parents can let their infants experience the water.
“When you’re working with a child, one of the first things you want to do is ingrain the habit of, when they get in the water or fall in the water, to roll over,” said owner Bob Hubbard. “Roll over and float on their back is one of the safest things they can do.”
Another key is to teach the infant how to hold their breath.
“You can have a child jump in the water, and if their breath-holding is good and they’re comfortable, they’re going to float up,” Hubbard said. “As long as they stay calm and they’re not drinking the water or having spastic arm movements, they’re going to be safer.”
Of course, Hubbard thinks the thing to do is get kids swim lessons and spend time working with them in a swimming pool. He also said there are plenty of swim lesson videos on YouTube and the school’s website can help parents.
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains