PHOENIX — The hot weather and the lure of a cool pool can lead to danger for many children, especially infants.
The owner of a Valley swim school said there are things parents can do to make sure infants can survive in the water.
At the Hubbard Family Swim School in Phoenix, parents can let their infants experience the water.
“When you’re working with a child, one of the first things you want to do is ingrain the habit of, when they get in the water or fall in the water, to roll over,” said owner Bob Hubbard. “Roll over and float on their back is one of the safest things they can do.”
Another key is to teach the infant how to hold their breath.
“You can have a child jump in the water, and if their breath-holding is good and they’re comfortable, they’re going to float up,” Hubbard said. “As long as they stay calm and they’re not drinking the water or having spastic arm movements, they’re going to be safer.”
Of course, Hubbard thinks the thing to do is get kids swim lessons and spend time working with them in a swimming pool. He also said there are plenty of swim lesson videos on YouTube and the school’s website can help parents.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon