Arizona will need to spend about $7.4 billion on its drinking water infrastructure over the next 20 years, an Environmental Protection Agency study said.
The money will have to be spent on both routine maintenance and improvements.
“Keep the pipes in good shape, to keep the treatment plants functioning,” said Melanie Ford with the Water Infrastructure Finance Authority of Arizona. “That costs a lot of money over a 20-year period to continue to provide Arizona with safe drinking water.”
Ford went on to say that since WIFA’s inception in 1992, WIFA has received approximately $500 million in federal funds, but has leveraged that into over $2 billion in loans for infrastructure projects in Arizona.
Water providers’ customers re-pay those loans through the water rates they pay, and then they are loaned again to other communities.
On the whole, the United States will have to spend about $400 billion total, the study said.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food