MESA, Ariz. — High school and college students from all over Arizona were in the East Valley on Wednesday learning how to help others and getting a better education themselves.
The student are attending a week-long workshop with Arizona State University’s Cesar Chavez Leadership Institute. The program started in 1995 and teaches the students about such things as community involvement and higher learning.
The Institute’s Elyssa Bustamonte said the students participated in a food bank and back-to-school clothing drive for the Care Partnership.
“A mission of Cesar Chavez was to empower people and help them no matter what their situation might be,” she said. “The Care Partnership directly aligns with the mission of Cesar Chavez, as well as the values of CCLI.”
ASU student Miguel Lopez said he learned a lot from his mentor at last year’s Cesar Chavez Leadership Institute.
“She did a really good job of showing me the path to college,” he said. “Just showing me the kinds of things I needed to do to get to college in terms of financial aid, in terms of the things I should be involved in in college. She was really instrumental to me and I am looking just to give back to the students this year.”
Jesus Encinas, a senior at Agua Fria High School in Avondale, Ariz., is glad he’s taking part in the program.
“I’m getting out of this a lot of leadership and community service,” he said. “I’ve met a lot of new people as well. It’s a fun experience to be here with a lot of people that you don’t know. There’s a lot of diversity as well.”
The Cesar Chavez Leadership Institute is in its 18th year of operation.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.