MESA, Ariz. — High school and college students from all over Arizona were in the East Valley on Wednesday learning how to help others and getting a better education themselves.
The student are attending a week-long workshop with Arizona State University’s Cesar Chavez Leadership Institute. The program started in 1995 and teaches the students about such things as community involvement and higher learning.
The Institute’s Elyssa Bustamonte said the students participated in a food bank and back-to-school clothing drive for the Care Partnership.
“A mission of Cesar Chavez was to empower people and help them no matter what their situation might be,” she said. “The Care Partnership directly aligns with the mission of Cesar Chavez, as well as the values of CCLI.”
ASU student Miguel Lopez said he learned a lot from his mentor at last year’s Cesar Chavez Leadership Institute.
“She did a really good job of showing me the path to college,” he said. “Just showing me the kinds of things I needed to do to get to college in terms of financial aid, in terms of the things I should be involved in in college. She was really instrumental to me and I am looking just to give back to the students this year.”
Jesus Encinas, a senior at Agua Fria High School in Avondale, Ariz., is glad he’s taking part in the program.
“I’m getting out of this a lot of leadership and community service,” he said. “I’ve met a lot of new people as well. It’s a fun experience to be here with a lot of people that you don’t know. There’s a lot of diversity as well.”
The Cesar Chavez Leadership Institute is in its 18th year of operation.
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof