MESA, Ariz. — High school and college students from all over Arizona were in the East Valley on Wednesday learning how to help others and getting a better education themselves.
The student are attending a week-long workshop with Arizona State University’s Cesar Chavez Leadership Institute. The program started in 1995 and teaches the students about such things as community involvement and higher learning.
The Institute’s Elyssa Bustamonte said the students participated in a food bank and back-to-school clothing drive for the Care Partnership.
“A mission of Cesar Chavez was to empower people and help them no matter what their situation might be,” she said. “The Care Partnership directly aligns with the mission of Cesar Chavez, as well as the values of CCLI.”
ASU student Miguel Lopez said he learned a lot from his mentor at last year’s Cesar Chavez Leadership Institute.
“She did a really good job of showing me the path to college,” he said. “Just showing me the kinds of things I needed to do to get to college in terms of financial aid, in terms of the things I should be involved in in college. She was really instrumental to me and I am looking just to give back to the students this year.”
Jesus Encinas, a senior at Agua Fria High School in Avondale, Ariz., is glad he’s taking part in the program.
“I’m getting out of this a lot of leadership and community service,” he said. “I’ve met a lot of new people as well. It’s a fun experience to be here with a lot of people that you don’t know. There’s a lot of diversity as well.”
The Cesar Chavez Leadership Institute is in its 18th year of operation.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets