SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — The jump in Valley home prices and high demand for homes has some mortgage experts concerned.
They say sub-prime mortgages appear to be making a comeback, and that could lead to a repeat of America’s 2008 housing disaster. Valley Mortgage expert Dean Wegner said things are okay… for now.
“The way that lending is now, it’s so conservative,” said Wegner. “Anyone that’s buying a house now, deserves that house. They are more than qualified to make those monthly payments.”
But, Wegner said he is concerned.
“If you see new programs handing loans to people that can’t prove their income, or for some reason normally can’t get a loan through conventional means… if you see these people enter into the market and spike home prices even further, you could definitely see another problem on the horizon,” Wegner said.
And he IS seeing those programs start to become available.
“They come in droves,” said Wegner. “Now we’re seeing one or two a month appear. By the end of the year, we could see another dozen of these products. Who knows what that could lead to.”
Wegner believes banks will make loans with sub-prime mortgages if they are confident they can get their money back. He fears that if banks and mortgage companies aren’t careful, we could see a repeat of the housing bubble and the economic problems of a few years ago.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes