SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — The jump in Valley home prices and high demand for homes has some mortgage experts concerned.
They say sub-prime mortgages appear to be making a comeback, and that could lead to a repeat of America’s 2008 housing disaster. Valley Mortgage expert Dean Wegner said things are okay… for now.
“The way that lending is now, it’s so conservative,” said Wegner. “Anyone that’s buying a house now, deserves that house. They are more than qualified to make those monthly payments.”
But, Wegner said he is concerned.
“If you see new programs handing loans to people that can’t prove their income, or for some reason normally can’t get a loan through conventional means… if you see these people enter into the market and spike home prices even further, you could definitely see another problem on the horizon,” Wegner said.
And he IS seeing those programs start to become available.
“They come in droves,” said Wegner. “Now we’re seeing one or two a month appear. By the end of the year, we could see another dozen of these products. Who knows what that could lead to.”
Wegner believes banks will make loans with sub-prime mortgages if they are confident they can get their money back. He fears that if banks and mortgage companies aren’t careful, we could see a repeat of the housing bubble and the economic problems of a few years ago.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development