PHOENIX — The heat can take a toll on your tires. Are you prepared to handle a blowout on the freeway? One expert said knowing what to do, or what not to do could save your life.
The worst case scenario is a serious accident, according to Robert Schaller, Instructor Supervisor with the Arizona Chapter of the National Safety Council.
“You can end up losing control of the car, rolling the car and it’s happened many, many times,” Schaller said.
He offers the following tips:
1. Keep a steady grip on the wheel, steer straight ahead.
2. Take your foot off the accelerator, slow the car down but don’t press on the brakes.
3. Once speed has been sufficiently reduced, steer clear off the road.
4. Don’t stop in a dangerous place. Many vehicles and people are hit by inattentive or impaired drivers when stopped on shoulders. Get far off the road or drive until you can. Even ruining a rim is better than getting injured or killed.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food