PHOENIX — The heat can take a toll on your tires. Are you prepared to handle a blowout on the freeway? One expert said knowing what to do, or what not to do could save your life.
The worst case scenario is a serious accident, according to Robert Schaller, Instructor Supervisor with the Arizona Chapter of the National Safety Council.
“You can end up losing control of the car, rolling the car and it’s happened many, many times,” Schaller said.
He offers the following tips:
1. Keep a steady grip on the wheel, steer straight ahead.
2. Take your foot off the accelerator, slow the car down but don’t press on the brakes.
3. Once speed has been sufficiently reduced, steer clear off the road.
4. Don’t stop in a dangerous place. Many vehicles and people are hit by inattentive or impaired drivers when stopped on shoulders. Get far off the road or drive until you can. Even ruining a rim is better than getting injured or killed.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths