PHOENIX — The heat can take a toll on your tires. Are you prepared to handle a blowout on the freeway? One expert said knowing what to do, or what not to do could save your life.
The worst case scenario is a serious accident, according to Robert Schaller, Instructor Supervisor with the Arizona Chapter of the National Safety Council.
“You can end up losing control of the car, rolling the car and it’s happened many, many times,” Schaller said.
He offers the following tips:
1. Keep a steady grip on the wheel, steer straight ahead.
2. Take your foot off the accelerator, slow the car down but don’t press on the brakes.
3. Once speed has been sufficiently reduced, steer clear off the road.
4. Don’t stop in a dangerous place. Many vehicles and people are hit by inattentive or impaired drivers when stopped on shoulders. Get far off the road or drive until you can. Even ruining a rim is better than getting injured or killed.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night