PHOENIX — Arizona Department of Transportation crews will be scrambling to keep up with the rubber from shredded tires on the road during the summer.
Hot freeways take a big toll on tires and can peel them like a banana.
“We call it ‘alligator season’ because our crews are reminded of alligators and it’s an important time of the year for drivers to be paying close attention,” said ADOT’s Doug Nintzel.
Shredded tires are dangerous not only to the car’s owner but to those who might run over them later. Nintzel said a lot of work goes into keeping the freeways clear of the these tire remains.
“We have maintenance crews patrolling the freeways daily looking for the material and moving it off to the shoulder ahead of the overnight sweeping that takes place,” he said.
In cases involving large chunks of tire tread, DPS officers will perform a rolling closure until ADOT crews can clear the freeway.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development