PHOENIX — Arizona Department of Transportation crews will be scrambling to keep up with the rubber from shredded tires on the road during the summer.
Hot freeways take a big toll on tires and can peel them like a banana.
“We call it ‘alligator season’ because our crews are reminded of alligators and it’s an important time of the year for drivers to be paying close attention,” said ADOT’s Doug Nintzel.
Shredded tires are dangerous not only to the car’s owner but to those who might run over them later. Nintzel said a lot of work goes into keeping the freeways clear of the these tire remains.
“We have maintenance crews patrolling the freeways daily looking for the material and moving it off to the shoulder ahead of the overnight sweeping that takes place,” he said.
In cases involving large chunks of tire tread, DPS officers will perform a rolling closure until ADOT crews can clear the freeway.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy