PHOENIX — Arizona Department of Transportation crews will be scrambling to keep up with the rubber from shredded tires on the road during the summer.
Hot freeways take a big toll on tires and can peel them like a banana.
“We call it ‘alligator season’ because our crews are reminded of alligators and it’s an important time of the year for drivers to be paying close attention,” said ADOT’s Doug Nintzel.
Shredded tires are dangerous not only to the car’s owner but to those who might run over them later. Nintzel said a lot of work goes into keeping the freeways clear of the these tire remains.
“We have maintenance crews patrolling the freeways daily looking for the material and moving it off to the shoulder ahead of the overnight sweeping that takes place,” he said.
In cases involving large chunks of tire tread, DPS officers will perform a rolling closure until ADOT crews can clear the freeway.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain