PHOENIX — The Thursday drowning of a 2-year-old girl in a pool near 75th Avenue and Thomas led 30 Phoenix Fire Department volunteers to take action Tuesday morning.
The volunteers went door-to-door to homes near where the drowning happened to remind people about having fences around their pools and keeping their kids around water.
Phoenix Fire Department Deputy Chief Chris Ketterer said the swimming pool isn’t the only place where kids can get into trouble.
“Any water source is a threat,” he said. “It could be a bucket of water. It could be a bathtub. It could be an unprotected toilet with the lid open. It could be an ice chest filled with melted ice. t could be a doggie dish filled with water. We have documented cases of young children who are so small that they can crawl but they aren’t yet walking, and they can go face down into a doggie dish with as little as two inches of water and drown in that water source. Our message today is really one of prevention.”
Ketterer said volunteers knocked on every door. If no one was home, they left a pamphlet giving tips about keeping kids safe around water.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon